Seeking Exhibition Proposals
Type: Exhibition Opportunities [View all]
Posted by: Morris Graves Museum of Art
Deadline: Sun, December 31st, 2017
2019 - 2020 EXHIBITION PROPOSAL GUIDELINES
An Exhibition Selection Committee meets once a year to review the proposals that have been received and which adhere to the evaluation criteria and artist responsibilities outlined below. During the first quarter of 2018, the committee will review proposals for the 2019 and 2020 exhibition calendars. All exhibition proposals must be postmarked by December 31, 2017.
PROPOSAL EVALUATION: The Exhibition Selection Committee will evaluate exhibition proposals from artists or groups of artists based on the following criteria:
1. Diversity: The proposal is a reflection of current multicultural and diverse art and art-making strategies that exist today.
2. Professionalism: The artist(s) are professionals whose resume reflects exhibitions and other professional activities on a regional, national or international level.
3. Innovation: The proposal makes innovative use of concepts, materials, themes and space.
4. Community Engagement: Special consideration will be given to proposals that promote community engagement through interactive or educational activities associated with the exhibition.
5. Contemporary and Historical Relevance: The proposal demonstrates an awareness of contemporary and historical art movements and challenges an audience’s perception of "What is art?".
PROPOSAL SPECIFICATIONS: The HAC will only return proposals which include self-addressed, pre-paid packaging. The following must be included in the proposal:
1. Cover Letter: A printed cover letter stating the following:
A. Title and intent of the exhibition
B. Materials/media used in the artwork
C. General description of the artwork
D. Month for Exhibition: A preferable and alternate month for the exhibition.
A. Maximum of ten images per proposal (not per artist), representative of the proposed exhibition.
B. Images must be submitted as jpgs with a size of at least 1024 x 768 pixels. Do not submit images embedded in PowerPoint.
C. A printed list indicating maker, title, media, date, dimensions and insurance value of each object.
3. Resume: A printed résumé which includes all previous exhibitions and related experience for each artist in the exhibition proposal.
NOTIFICATION OF ACCEPTANCE OR DENIAL:
1. Notification: Artists will receive an e-mail notification of acceptance or denial prior to March 1, 2015.
2. Alternative Exhibition: The Committee may wish to exhibit an artist’s work with other complementary artists in a group exhibition; however, this decision will be dependent upon the approval of the participating artists prior to the scheduling of the exhibition.
ACCEPTED ARTIST/S RESPONSIBILITIES: Artists whose proposals are accepted are responsible for the following:
1. Continuity: If exhibition material varies significantly from images used in the exhibition proposal, the curator reserves the right to edit or cancel the exhibition.
2. Shipping: All shipping costs both to and from the Museum for the artwork.
3. Resume: A current résumé, artist’s statement, professional images, and other relevant material necessary to promote the exhibition.
4. Announcements: Artists may choose to design, print and pay for exhibition announcements.
HUMBOLDT ARTS COUNCIL RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Gallery: A gallery space and staffing during the exhibition.
2. Promotion: Professional promotion of the exhibition.
3. An opening reception: During First Saturday Night Arts Alive!
4. Insurance: Wall-to-wall fine arts insurance for all art in the exhibition.
5. Sales: Management of all gallery sales and collection of appropriate retail sales tax. HAC retains a 40% sales commission during the exhibition.
Send proposals to: Jemima Harr, Executive Director Humboldt Arts Council, Curator Morris Graves Museum of Art
Address: 636 F Street, Eureka CA 95501
Phone: (707) 442-0278 ex. 205
Posted on Thu, September 14th, 2017
Expires on Sun, December 31st, 2017
CAA is not responsible for the content of listings in the Opportunities section. All postings are subject to review; inappropriate submissions will not be published.