Programs » Support and Travel Grants
ABOUT THE GRANT
Established by Mary D. Edwards with the help of others, the CAA Support Grant in Memory of Archibald Cason Edwards, Senior, and Sarah Stanley Gordon Edwards will support the costs of participation in the CAA Annual Conference and for conference registration fees to women who are emerging scholars at either an advanced stage of pursuing a doctoral degree (ABD) or who have received their PhD within two years prior to the submission of the application. The applicants must be presenting research papers at an art history session at the conference, in person or virtually, with a strong preference for papers on any topic pertaining to the art of ancient Greece and Rome, medieval Europe from 400 to 1400, or Europe and North America from 1400 to 1950. Successful applicants will also receive complimentary conference registration.
The following application materials must be submitted:
By the session chair:
- A description of the session
- A few sentences on the applicant's contribution to the session
Once nominated, the applicant will be invited to submit:
- An abstract of their conference paper
- Abbreviated CV (approximately two pages)
- A letter of interest
- A letter from the applicant's dean, departmental chair, or dissertation advisor confirming the applicant's current standing and progress in the art history PhD program or, if a recent PhD, confirming the successful completion of the doctorate program and date of the degree.
Examples of allowable expenses - Must be incurred during conference dates
- Travel to the annual conference
- Childcare or caretaking expenses incurred to allow your focused participation in the conference.
- Daycare above and beyond what is normally scheduled because member is attending the conference (for example: overtime at a daycare center, cost of a childcare provider or caretaker, etc.)
- Travel expenses incurred in bringing a caregiver/family member to supervise your child or family member in your home, or to bring a child or family member to a caregiver/family member.
- Technology upgrade (i.e. headphones, microphones, cameras, virtual conferencing accounts, expanded bandwidth, upgrade technology)
Applicants should also acknowledge the award in the first footnote if they publish papers on the topic which they presented at the conference and which was supported by this grant.
- Only an Individual CAA Member ID or non-member CAA ID will allow you to sign into the submission forms. If you do not have an ID, please contact our membership department.
- Institutional Member IDs can not be used to create a submission.
- If you are having trouble logging in, try a different browser. We recommend Chrome to alleviate login issues.
- Make sure to start your application well in advance to avoid last-minute technical issues.
Applications open October 15 and close November 15.
For inquiries and upcoming deadlines, please contact Cali Buckley, Content Manager, Education and Intellectual Property, at email@example.com.