Calls For Papers
CFP: Library Architecture in North America (Workshop, Madison, WI, 26-28 March 2020)
Type: Calls For Papers [View all]
Posted by: Department of Art History, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Deadline: Mon, November 25th, 2019
This workshop seeks new approaches to the study of library architecture. Taking place at the Department of Art History at the University of Wisconsin-Madison from March 26 to March 28, it welcomes contributions that address the following themes:
- the library as a building type
- frameworks for narrating the history of library architecture theoretically and architecturally
- the change of the cityscape with the architectural appearance of iconic and unique library buildings vs less appearing library buildings
- the effect of architecture on public debates when new library buildings are designed
- possibilities of historic preservation
- the role of historic preservation when it comes to building annexes to existing structures
- the involvement of community groups in library architecture and the design process
- the social function of public spaces in contrast to academic spaces
- city scape, environment and the public sphere
This workshop seeks to stimulate discussions about architectural history as well as the social, political and economic role of libraries and the public realm. While the focus of this workshop is on North American library architecture, proposals that look at international topics are encouraged. Scholars from all fields, as well as librarians, architects, journalists, teachers and volunteers are welcome to contribute. The preferred format would be a pre circulated paper. Interested participants from outside academia are welcome to contact the organizer about alternative formats such as oral presentations, PechaKucha etc.
Deadline for submission of application with abstract (300 words max.) and short biography (100 words max.): November 25, 2019.
Deadline for submission of accepted papers (in English, 4000 words max.): February 20, 2020. Alternative contributions should not exceed 20 minutes.
Please send your proposals (as PDF file) to: email@example.com
The funding for this workshop will be provided by the Volkswagen Foundation.
Posted on Mon, October 7th, 2019
Expires on Mon, November 25th, 2019
CAA is not responsible for the content of listings in the Opportunities section. All postings are subject to review; inappropriate submissions will not be published.